Tuesday, February 23, 2010

we are doing something wrong.

This last weekend I was in Desert Hot Springs judging a show. I've done this same show for ten years now. I always have the best time when I am there. And so do the exibitors. Some of them I have actually watched grow up. Somewhat. Anyway, this weekend the weather was anything but pleasant. It was over cast and the wind was blowing at least a gale. That didnt seem to deter the exhibitors at all. We had Paints, Appy's.Quarter Horses. etc. And the Halter classes which have been non existant at the quarter horse shows were full of horses. I cant remember when I have seen quarter horse exhibitors out there with theirhts tied down on their heads and shivering in the cold showing and having a good time. Even Judy managed to keep fairly quiet and down to a dull screech. This particular show is put on by a private family. The kids worked the lunch stand and ran errands, the husband handles the mechaical duties and announces, and the wife is the show manager and grounds crew and handles all matters of disputes and schooling of some of the local students. It is part of a 6 show saddle series, and prizes are given out for the placings in each class, for the high point for the show, and saddles for the year end awards. Some years have more entries than others, the youngest age group and the walk trot entries seem to hold from year to year, and the amature entries stay steady also. Some of them I only see at this show and look forward to judging their progress, or lack of, from year to year. I like this show so much that I even miss the Daytona 500 to go and judge it. I guess maybe it reminds me how much fun I had showing when I was a kid.
The other thing that I did this weekend that was fantastic. I Had dinner at the Kaiser Grill in downtown palm springs. When you get my age food can be better than sex. This was one such occasion. I started with spinach and artichoke dip, fantastic, then ceasar salad, with actual anchovies in the dressing. Prime rib, garlic mashed potatoes, green beans, finished off with raspberry, cocoanut, and tangerine sorbet with toasted cocoanut on top. If you ever get to palm springs, Be sure and Give the Kaiser Grill a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment