Tuesday, February 9, 2010

too fun for words

I have been sitting here trying to find a way to sufficiently express just how much fun that I have racing my car. I dont know how. For some reason it seems like the most natural thing on earth for me. Like I have been doing it all my life, and no, its not anything like driving on the highway only faster. I had a very successful weekend, my lap times were good for my group, and I manages to be reasonably consistent throughout the weekend. For some reason consistency seems really importatnt to me. Probably because its so hard to be consistent when trying to get a good performance out of a horse. I find car racing fascinating, it is truly amazing how much information that you can get from the it while your driving around the track. The imperfections of the track, elevation, smooth or rough surfaces, balance between front and rear as you brake hard going in to a turn, etc. Its just amazing. There is nothing like feeling the pull from the engine when you accelerate out of a corner. The tires struggeling for traction as you push them to their adhesive limits. It's just amazing. I have a racing seat and 5 point harness that straps me into the seat really snug. I move very little when the car is moving about. After the first few laps its actually somewhat relaxing to know that all I have to worry about is driving the car. One of the best things about car racing. The bottom line is who ever is the fastest wins, its not about what horse your riding, or who the judge is, or how much you paid for it. I have a resonably inexpensive car, and have done only modest modifications up to this point, trust me I will do more as I can afford it. And I have the most fun that I can imagine, being out on the track with bmw's and porche's, other vettes, and audi's, mustang's, honda's, nissan's and others. And actually getting to outrun some of them.
I have wanted to race cars my entire life. I can remember playing on the floor with matchbox cars when I was a kid, having electric race cars, and go carts. I never imagined that I'd get to do this as a hobby. The first time on the track with my instructor, I can say that I was actually ready to throw up with anxiety, worried about not being any good. Now that I have done it for a while I can say that it is exacty everything I always thought it would be. I challenge everyone that has a childhood dream to go for it, find a way to give that dream a try. Get out there and live a little. It just might turn out to be worth every breath you take.

No comments:

Post a Comment