Sunday, December 27, 2009

our freedoms

When I first got this hairbrained idea to start a blog I wasnt sure that I could come up with enough things to extrapolate upon. Well I was mistaken, because it seems that I have an opinion on just about everything.
Just this morning while on the way to get breakfast, Dave and I were having a rather animated discussion on the new flight restrictions that are going to be initiated due to the attempted attack on the NWA flight on christmas day. He thinks its unfair, that passengers wont be able to move about the plane freely anymore, or keep a blanket on their legs if they get cold. I agree, but whose fault is that. One person always seems to screw things up for the rest of us.
You people who protest the war in Iraq, and Afganistan need to take note of a few things. If we stayed home, and didnt fight in those countries. Who do you think is going to try and get these terrorists under control. All would be well if they would just stay at home and not try an inflict punishment on us for their own shortcomings. Just use this last attack as an example of how this works. A young nigerian man, in his 20's is born in a country where oppression is the order of the day. His life is difficult and he feels the need to blame somebody for it. Along comes some Al Quaida operative who is out and about looking for the downtrodden of the world and befriends the nigerian. All of a sudden it starts to make sense to him. The big bad U.S. has taken advantage of him, and if he can only rid the world of us infidels he will be some kind of success. And so it goes now the nigerian feels that he belongs to something, they understand how he feels and so his life has some direction. You know the rest of the story. If we dont try and stop the increase in terrorist activities, those attacks will only escalate. I said to the girl working the lunch on the boat this weekend how glad I was being born in the united states and not some 3rd world country. Some idot woman who was listening to our converstation wanted to know why. I replied if she couldnt look around the boat at the cultures that were present there, she was able to understand why in the first place. Do you think some guy born in Nigeria would ever have the chance to train horses for a living, race cars as a hobby on weekends, go camping on an uninhabited island off the Florida Keys. Hell no. They go camping every day because they live in freeking huts.
You say well I have never served in the armed services so I dont understand. Well maybe your right. I tried, upon graduation from high school, I tried to enlist in the Navy. My athsma was so bad they didnt want me. But that doesnt keep me from appreciating the fact that the reason that I can sleep soundly at nite, an enjoy all the freedoms that we do in America, including the right to protest the war if we choose, is because we have men and women in the armed forces making it possible for us to enjoy those securities and freedoms. So the next time you bitch about the cost of war, try and imagine yourself being notified as the next of kin when some terrorist takes a plane down. You may just have yourself a moment of enlightenent. I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment