Tuesday, December 22, 2009

I am the restaurant critic.

Here is Key West we have eaten at some really fine dining establishments, and some that thought they were fine dining establishments. Living with a gourmet cook, I get to sample some of the best dishes cooked anywhere, which partially explains my weight problem. I would like to take the time now to elaborate on a few the places that we've gotten to eat at. Just in case you come to Key West and want to give them a try, and some you shouldnt. I am a big proponent of eating at the local places, off the beaten path and not corporate. The first nite we arrived by the time we got into town and had time to eat it was pretty late. We picked a place called Kelly's, which happens to have two interesting bonus points, It is located in the same building as the original headquarters for Pan American airlines, and it is owned by Kelly McGillis, you know the steamy goddess who falls for sissy boy Tom Cruise in Top Gun. It was after nine, they close at ten, and we were the last couple to get served. They start you off with this home-made bread that has coconut added to it. It was freeking awesome. Warm, Sweet, Soft, and Aromatic. Then we each had a different entree. I the seafood medley, the seafood was so fresh eash item had its own flavor, and Dave had the Crabcakes, he says they were incredible.
The next morning we at a PePe's. A little hole in the wall place about 20 tables and half falling down. I had the Creamcheese omlet, Dave the blueberry pancakes, and home made cranberry bread. All was fantastic. Dinner that nite was a definitly upscale Itailian place called Antonio's. Dont bother with this one. The service sucked. 15 minutes to get the first glass of water. My fettucine noodles were like rubber, and Dave's Stuffed Chicken was raw on the inside. Of course the waiter didnt notice because he never came back after taking our order, and the Mait re de, said it was the bad lighting that made the food look uncooked. I hate a queen with her skirts up over her head. I am usually a GREAT tipper, but in this case I followed Dear Abby's advice and only left a dollar. That was too much.
This morning we ate at a nice little dirty place called My Blue Heaven. Dave loved it. I thought is was so so. You see no matter how great the food is, and they too had a home made bannanna nut bread that was like candy, I think it is really filthy to have chickens and cats running around the dining room. Even if your eating outside. Tonights meal was at The Schooner Warf Bar. Dave oysters and shrimp, and me the coconut shrimp again. Both were just great. So I guess one sub par meal so far, of course at the most expensive place in town, is not all that bad an average.
Tomorrow we are taking a fast catamaran out to the Dry Tortugas Island, to tour Ft. Jefferson, and camp for the nite. There are only 6 camping spots, No electricity, No running water, etc. So if you never hear from me again you'll know I went nuts with no phone or internet and leaped off the wall of the fort to my death in the jelly fish filled moat. The whole island is smaller that 10 acres in size. I could go nuts just from the shear idea of being trapped. Over nite its just you, the ranger, and the other campers. The plus side of all this is we get to go snorkeling while we are there. Woo Hoo.
Hope to chat with you when I make it back to civilization. If the packing of the tent and camping doesn't kill my athsmatic lard ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment